Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Playing With Beads and Dough

Once again we have two fabulous artists from opposite sides of the United States--Washington state and Virginia.

I'm really digging the cute salt dough ornaments from Stylish Ornaments and Crafts! How fun to play with 'playdoh' and make stuff!

We also have anther Etsy artist who's Etsy address may confuse first comers to her site to what she creates. He shop name is Jewelry Wiz and she creates jewelry but her Etsy address is candlewiz.etsy.com. It's all good though because she's currently in the process of creating a NEW shop with jewelrywiz.etsy.com as the address so there will be no mistakes to what her shop's all about!

Enjoy!



Name
Stylish Ornaments and Crafts

Location
Seattle Metro

Etsy address
http://www.stylishornaments.etsy.com/


Facebook, Twitter, etc address

Twitter
http://twitter.com/stylishornament

Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/people/Stylishornaments-Crafts/100000185611281
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41576866@N04/



What Etsy groups do you belong to?
None


What is your craft?
Our brand products are angels for every occasion. We also create tons of various seasonal products: witches, jack o'lanterns and the like for Halloween, Christmas ornaments, hearts for Mother Day and so on. Each item is hand-made and therefore unique in form, shape and style. We also use different materials, mostly salt dough, acrylic painting and varnish, but also wooden frames and raffia. And we constantly try new things and techniques, adding new collections to our repertoire.

{Sweet Blue Angel}

How did you start doing what you do?
We are best friends and we like to do lots of things together. Last winter we were looking for ways to have even more fun and to chill out during long winter evenings and we ended up with playing with salt dough. The results were so encouraging that we went on and started to make angel figures and Christmas ornaments. We liked them so much that we decided to share our creations with others and also to expand our range by making more items, both in terms of numbers and variety. We are very happy with what we have done so far and we really enjoy what we do. And we challenge ourselves to do completely new projects which you will be able to see soon.


What part of your work do you most enjoy?
Exploring new possibilities of what we can do with materials and techniques. Satisfaction when what we created looks just like we imagined it. And, last but not least, we value time that we spend together talking about, well, everything: new ideas, new promotions, our children, local news, etc.


{Baby Boy's First Christmas}

What part of your work do you find the hardest?
The hardest part is painting process, especially when it comes to choosing the right color. It is amazing how the color can affect the final product.


Where do you get/find your inspiration?

Our inspiration comes from recognition of special occasions and events, like Christmas, Mother Day, etc. But we often catch ourselves at simply looking at a thing we have just seen and thinking how it would look like in a particular setting, for example, hung on a wall, or a Christmas tree. This usually brings good ideas not only how the product should look like, but what methods we need to improve in order to make it look better.


What are the three most favorite items in your store right now?
We love them all, but if we really, really, really need to choose three, they will be the following:

Original Witch Aletta





What is the best advice you have received?
Promote, Promote, Promote!!!


Earring Whiz
{Genius Design for your Ears}


Name
Jessica Cheek

Location
Blacksburg, Virginia

Etsy Address
www.candlewhiz.etsy.com

Facebook, Twitter, etc address
I don't have any

What Etsy groups do you belong to?
None actually I'm not even sure how to join any :(


What is your craft?
Contrary to my name I make jewelry.


{Hemitite and Swarovski Crystal Earrings}


How did you start doing what you do?
I started with earrings, I found some beautiful earrings I wanted but they were way out of my price range. I got online starting googling and hit up youtube and found they were easy to make (and for a fraction of the cost!). I fell in love with creating beautiful earrings and have just expanding from there. I hope I can continue to create amazing jewelry.


What part of your work do you most enjoy?
Feedback from customers, I love to hear that they truely enjoyed what I made them, that it was exactly what they wanted or better :)




What part of your work do you find the hardest?
Getting my name out there honestly. Since my shop name is "Candlewhiz" everyone assumes I know nothing about jewelry and I often get dismissed. I'm in the process of setting up a new shop (jewelrywhiz.etsy.com), but it's hard to get sales with zero feedback even if you refer them to your previous shop.


Where do you get/find your inspiration?
From everywhere, places I've been, pieces of jewelry I've seen before, the clothes I wear, the books I read; just....life :)


What are the three most favorite items in your store right now?






*These are the jewelry items I have had the most fun creating, and have inspired several more pieces I'm in the progress of making as we speak :)


What is the best advice you have received?
To keep it up. You're going to have times when no one is viewing your shop and no one is interested in your bids, just don't get discouraged.

**********************************************************************************
I just want to link a few Etsy sites that might be helpful to some artists. I see that some of you do not belong to an Etsy group. I really believe joining and contributing to an Etsy group helps to keep you focused, positive and can help with the creative juices!

Here's a link on how to join or create a new Etsy team. And here is the link to the page with all the current Etsy teams. You can browse through and see what teams you might want to join and get all the pertinent info.

Also, here is the link to Twitter. It's fun to follow people and see what they are doing and creating. You can share your blog posts, recently posted shop items or just say whatever's on your mind! My Twitter name is pinkpatrice if you want to follow me! :)

Facebook can be a great place to start a fanpage for your shop. I have one that I don't keep up at all {shame on me} but at least it's there just in case someone happens to stumble across it!

That's all for now folks {until tomorrow}! Thanks for coming!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Patrice thanks you for your comments!